Limited Enrolment — Admission into the Forensic Science Major program is by special application ONLY and MUST be completed in conjunction with a second approved Science Major (see Notes 'Second Major' below). To be considered for admission into the program, ALL students, including students admitted into the 1st year Forensic Science category, MUST submit a direct online FSC Application, upon completing the Minimum Program Requirements listed below. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. Minimum Requirements:
- Completion of 4.0 credits; including 3.0 science credits.
- Completion of FSC239Y5 with 70% or better.
- Completion of CHM110H5, CHM120H5 with 65% or better.
- Completion of ( MAT132H5, MAT134H5) or ( MAT135H5, MAT136H5) or MAT134Y5 or MAT135Y5 or MAT137Y5
- A minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.7 The actual CGPA requirement in any particular year may exceed this value, in order to achieve a proper balance between enrolments and teaching resources.
- Enrolment in an Approved Second Major (See Second Major Notes: 1).
Application for admission into the program for ALL students can be found at: www.utm.utoronto.ca/forensic
Forensic Science Applications Open: March 1 of each year
Forensic Science Application Deadline: May 1 of each year
Note: This program must be taken concurrently with a second Major program (see notes below).
9.0 credits are required including at least 2.0 at the 300/400 level.
First Year: BIO152H5, BIO153H5; CHM110H5, CHM120H5; FSC239Y5; ( MAT132H5, MAT134H5) / ( MAT135H5, MAT136H5) / MAT134Y5 / MAT135Y5 / MAT137Y5; PHY136H5, PHY137H5
Second Year: CHM242H5, CHM243H5; FSC271H5; ANT407H5/ STA215H5/ STA220H5/ PSY201H5
Third Year: FSC303H5/ FSC300H5; FSC330H5; FSC360H5;
Fourth Year: 0.5 credit from the following: FSC302H5, FSC307H5, FSC311H5, FSC314H5, FSC315H5, FSC316H5, FSC320H5, FSC335H5, FSC340H5, FSC350H5, FSC351H5, FSC361H5, FSC370H5, FSC401H5, FSC402H5, FSC403H5, FSC406H5, FSC407H5, FSC416H5, FSC430H5, FSC489H5
- The Forensic Science Major MUST be completed in conjunction with one of the following approved second major programs: Anthropology (Science), Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science or Psychology (Other 2nd Majors may be possible with permission of the Forensic Science program director.
- Students intending to complete the Forensic Science Major with an Anthropology Major MUST select the ERMAJ0105 Anthropology (Science) Major. As part of the ANT (SCI) Major requirement of 3.0 additional ANT credits, students are recommended to choose from the following: ANT205H5; ANT306H5, ANT334H5, ANT340H5, ANT415H5, ANT436H5, ANT439H5.
- For information on program requirements and enrolment procedures for each of the second major programs, students should consult the individual departmental faculty advisor or the departmental program descriptions listed within this calendar.
- In each of the 2nd majors, certain courses are compulsory and where a choice of courses is available, students should consult the Forensic Science Student Advisor for the most appropriate selection.
- The program requirements in effect at the time the student is admitted to the program must be met in order to fulfill the degree requirements.
- Once a student has been admitted into a FSC program stream, written authorization from the Forensic Science program advisor MUST be obtained for any request of change in a student's area of study within the Forensic Science program, including the second science major.
- Prospective students already holding a degree in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology or Anthropology may not complete a Forensic Science program in their first specialty due to the overlap of course content for courses already completed.