7.0 credits are required, including at least 3.0 credits at the 300 level and 0.5 credit at the 400-level.
The program must include:
- 2.0 credits in the History of Philosophy from:
- 0.5 credit in Logic: PHL245H5
- 1.0 credits in Metaphysics and Epistemology from: PHL240H5 or PHL258H5 or PHL332H5 or PHL333H5 or PHL340H5 or PHL341H5 or PHL342H5 or PHL350H5 or PHL355H5 or PHL358H5 or PHL360H5 or PHL430H5
- 1.0 credits in Ethics and Political Philosophy from:
- 2.5 additional credits in PHL
- Students cannot use more than 1.0 credits from 100-level PHL courses for program completion credit.
- Students also cannot use PHL204H5 or PHL277Y5 (or in combination with either PHL275H5 or PHL265H5) for program completion credit.
- Where courses exclude each other, at most one of them may be counted for credit toward philosophy program completion.
- It is recommended: that students begin their study of Philosophy with PHL103H5 or PHL113H5; and that students planning to enrol in the Major Program in Philosophy complete at least 2.0 credits of PHL200H5 or PHL210Y5 or PHL245H5 or PHL265H5 or PHL275H5 by the end of their second year.
- All 200-level courses, with the exception of PHL204H5, PHL245H5 and PHL247H5, have the prerequisite that the student has completed at least 4.0 credits at the university. This prerequisite is waived for students who are taking (or have taken) a 100-level course in Philosophy. There are no other prerequisites for any 200-level courses.
- All 300-level courses, with the exception of PHL344H5, 347H5, have a prerequisite of 1.5 credits in Philosophy. It is strongly recommended that students prepare for 300-level courses by taking two of the following: PHL103H5 or 113H5 or 200H5 or 210Y5 or 245H5 or PHL265H5 or PHL275H5. Some 300-level courses have specific prerequisites or recommended preparation, as described in the course descriptions. Students who do not meet the prerequisite for a particular course but believe that they have adequate preparation should consult the Undergraduate Advisor concerning entry to the course.
- The prerequisite for 400-level courses, except PHL451H5, is 4.5 credits in Philosophy.
When choosing your courses, keep in mind that not all courses listed are offered every year. Some courses required to complete a program might be offered only every other year. For courses offered during the current year, consult the UTM Timetable website.