Limited Enrolment — Enrolment in the Major program is limited to students who have achieved at least 63% in both LIN101H5 and LIN102H5. Second year entry requirements (for those students who have not met the enrolment requirement in the first year): A minimum grade of 67% in at least two of the following seven courses: LIN228H5, LIN229H5, LIN231H5, LIN232H5, LIN237H5, LIN256H5, LIN288H5.
Students cannot be enrolled simultaneously in the Linguistics Studies Major and the Linguistics Studies Minor programs.
8.0 credits are required.
- Core requirement: LIN228H5 and LIN229H5 and ( LIN231H5 or LIN237H5) and LIN232H5 and ( LIN256H5 or LIN288H5).
- Language requirement: 1.0 credit in a language course. This credit must involve the same language and must be taken either concurrently with LIN101H5 and LIN102H5 or after their completion. The language must be one other than the student's first language; English language courses are excluded.
- Upper Year requirements: 1.5 credits from 3 of the categories below (only 0.5 credit per category is permitted)
- Method and analysis: LIN318H5 or LIN411H5 or LIN418H5 or LIN419H5
- Phonetics/Phonology: ( LIN327H5 or JLP384H5) or LIN328H5 or LIN329H5 or LIN421H5
- Syntax and Morphology: LIN332H5 or LIN476H5
- Semantics/Pragmatics: LIN337H5 or LIN338H5
- Language teaching, learning, and acquisition: JFL389H5 or LIN380H5 or LIN385H5 or LIN454H5 or LIN456H5 or LIN487H5
- Language variation, contact, and change: LIN360H5 or LIN366H5 or LIN369H5 or LIN458H5 or LIN460H5 or LIN466H5 or LIN469H5
- Computational Linguistics: LIN340H5 or LIN341H5 or LIN447H5
- The remaining 2.0 credits to be chosen from those courses not yet taken from the list above, or from the following: any 300/400 level LIN/JAL/JFL/JLP course or ANT362H5 or ANT358H5 or FRE454H5 or FRE489H5 or ITA437Y5 or ITA373H5 or LTL488H5 or PHL350H5 or PHL451H5 or PSY315H5 or PSY374H5 or PSY376H5 or SAN392Y5.
Students must have a minimum of 0.5 credits at the 400-level. No more than 1.0 credits outside of LIN/JAL/JFL/JLP offerings (excluding language courses in requirement #2 can be used towards program requirements.
NOTE: No more than 1.5 credits can be double counted towards two programs of study in Linguistics.