Limited Enrolment — Enrolment in the Major program is limited to students who have achieved at least 63% in both LIN101H5 and LIN102H5. Second year entry requirements (for those students who have not met the enrolment requirement in the first year): A grade of 70% in at least two of the following seven courses: LIN228H5, LIN229H5, LIN231H5, LIN232H5, LIN237H5, LIN256H5, LIN288H5.
Students cannot be enrolled simultaneously in the Linguistics Studies Major and either of the Linguistics Studies or the English Language and Linguistics Minor programs.
- Core requirement: LIN228H5, LIN229H5, LIN231H5/LIN237H5 (or LIN247H5), LIN232H5, LIN256H5/LIN288H5 (or LIN258H5).
- Language requirement: 1.0 credit in a language course. This credit should involve the same language and must be taken either concurrently with LIN101H5 and LIN102H5 (or LIN100Y5) or after their completion. The language must be one other than the student's first language; English language courses are excluded.
- Upper Year requirements: 1.5 credits from the following (choose ONE course from three of the following categories):
- Method and analysis: LIN318H5 (or LIN368H5)/ LIN409H5/ LIN418H5 (LIN468H5)/ LIN411H5 (or LIN481H5)
- Phonetics/Phonology: LIN327H5, LIN328H5, LIN329H5, LIN421H5
- Syntax and Morphology: LIN332H5 (or LIN331H5)/LIN476H5 (or LIN406H5)
- Semantics/Pragmatics: LIN337H5/LIN338H5
- Language teaching, learning, and acquisition: JFL389H5/LIN385H5 (or LIN356H5)/ LIN380H5/ LIN487H5 (or LIN417H5)/ LIN456H5/ LIN454H5 (or LIN474H5)
- Language variation, contact, and change: LIN360H5/ LIN366H5/ LIN369H5 (or LIN376H5)/LIN458H5/ LIN460H5/ LIN466H5/ LIN469H5
- Computational Linguistics: LIN340H5
- The remaining 2.0 credits to be chosen from those courses not yet taken from the list above, or from the following list: ALL 300/400 level LIN/JAL courses, FRE454H5 (or FRE474H5), FRE489H5, ITA437Y5, ITA373H5, LTL488H5, PSY315H5, PSY374H5, PSY376H5, PHL350H5, PHL451H5, SAN392Y5, ANT362H5, ANT358H5.
Students must have a minimum of 0.5 credits at the 400-level. No more than 1.0 credits outside of LIN/JAL offerings (excluding language courses in requirement 2) can be used towards program requirements.