Enrolment in this program is limited to students who have completed 4.0 credits, including 60% or better in both BIO152H5 and BIO153H5, and who have achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
Students who have not attained the standard required to enter the Specialist Program may enrol in the Major or Minor Programs. If their GPA rises to 2.5, and they have completed CHM110H5, CHM120H5, BIO152H5, BIO153H5, BIO202H5, BIO203H5, BIO205H5, BIO206H5, and BIO207H5, they will then be eligible to switch to the Specialist Program. All students (including transfer students) must complete 4.0 UTM credits before requesting this program.
Note: CGPA for enrolment in this program is calculated based on a minimum of 4.0 credits completed at UTM with final percentage grades (i.e. CR/ NCR courses are not applicable).
13.5 credits are required, including at least 6.0 credits at the 300/400 level, of which 1.0 credit must be at the 400 level.
- BIO152H5 and BIO153H5
- CHM110H5 and CHM120H5
- ( MAT132H5 and MAT134H5) or MAT134Y5 or ( MAT135H5 and MAT136H5) or MAT135Y5 or ( MAT137H5 and MAT139H5) or MAT137Y5
- 1.0 credit from: CLA201H5 or ENV100Y5 or ( ERS101H5 or ERS120H5) or PHY136H5 or PHY137H5 or PSY100Y5 or WRI173H5 or WRI307H5
Note - ( MAT132H5 and MAT134H5) - Calculus for Life Sciences is highly recommended.
Third and Fourth Years:
- BIO313H5 or BIO314H5 or BIO409H5
- 5.5 additional UTM BIO credits. At least 5.0 of these credits must be at the 300 level or above, of which at least 1.0 must be at the 400 level
It is recommended that students in the specialist program include at least 0.5 credit from each of four of the following groups:
- Ecology and Field Biology: BIO311H5 or BIO312H5 or BIO313H5 or BIO329H5 or BIO330H5 or BIO331H5 or BIO333H5 or BIO373H5 or BIO376H5 or BIO378H5 or BIO412H5 or BIO416H5 or BIO444H5 or BIO464H5
- Biology of Whole Organisms: BIO325H5 or BIO326H5 or BIO329H5 or BIO354H5 or BIO356H5 or BIO376H5 or BIO378H5
- Genetics and Evolution: BIO329H5 or BIO341H5 or BIO342H5 or BIO347H5 or BIO407H5 or BIO422H5 or BIO427H5 or BIO443H5 or BIO445H5 or BIO464H5
- Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology: BIO314H5 or BIO315H5 or BIO324H5 or BIO362H5 or ( BIO370Y5 or BIO371H5) or BIO368H5 or BIO372H5 or BIO374H5 or BIO375H5 or BIO380H5 or BIO404H5 or BIO407H5 or BIO408H5 or BIO417H5 or BIO419H5 or BIO422H5 or BIO458H5 or BIO475H5 or BIO476H5 or BIO477H5
- Physiology and Behaviour: BIO208H5 or BIO304H5 or BIO310H5 or BIO312H5 or ( BIO318Y5 or BIO328H5) or BIO320H5 or BIO324 or BIO368H5 or BIO405H5 or BIO408H5 or BIO409H5 or BIO410H5 or BIO411H5 or BIO414H5 or BIO429H5 or BIO434H5
Up to 1.0 credit may be taken from the following biology-related courses: GGR227H5 or GGR305H5 or GGR307H5 or GGR309H5 or GGR311H5 or GGR312H5 or CHM347H5 or CHM361H5 or CHM362H5 or CHM372H5 or CHM373H5 or PHY332H5 or PHY333H5 or PSY290H5 or PSY355H5 or PSY357H5 or PSY392H5 or PSY395H5 or PSY397H5 or ANT334H5 or ANT336H5 or ANT340H5.
Additional courses: BIO361H5 or BIO400Y5 or BIO481Y5 or JCB487Y5
- Students wishing to emphasize cell biology, molecular biology, microbiology, physiology or genetics, should take CHM242H5 and CHM243H5 in second year. Such students should take ( MAT132H5 and MAT134H5) or MAT134Y5 or ( MAT135H5 and MAT136H5) or MAT135Y5 or ( MAT137H5 and MAT139H5) or MAT137Y5, a prerequisite, in their first year.
- No substitute statistics course will be allowed for BIO360H5.
- Students may take no more than 2.0 credits combined in ROP, Internship Program, or Individual Project / Thesis courses at the 300/400-level for credit toward their Biology program.
- Students must consult with the Undergraduate Advisor before enrolling in any St. George course that they wish to use for credit toward any Biology program.